In 2015 Arizona’s youth unemployment rate was close to 15% for youth ages 16-24. Last year, almost 260 youth were placed with local employer-partners through the assistance of Goodwill® Youth Programs.
Source: Pima County Opportunity Index
We believe that through real world work experience, youth develop their skills that will help them succeed in other job positions. Through a contract and funding with Arizona@Work One-Stop, Pima County the YOUTH EMPLOYMENT program places youth ages 16-24 with local employers during the summer or after school to attend training and gain paid work experience. Our Employer-Partners include Saavi, Tucson Botanical Gardens, Reid Park Zoo, Scripps Media and other local employers.
Participants get PAID for 160 or 320 hours of work experience through the Youth Employment program.
How to participate in the Youth Employment program:
- Must be 16-24 years of age
- Must be out-of-school and meet Workforce Investment Act (WIA) or Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) criteria, as determined by Pima County during their Intake Process
- A high school junior or senior that needs assistance in education
- A high school senior who has selected a career track and needs an internship
Youth Enrollment Process:
- Call Julie Wan, Youth Employment Manager, 520-623-5174 x7021
- Take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) at Pima County office
- Finish two hour pre-screening at Goodwill®
- Finish two hour Orientation at Goodwill® and complete our Online Application.
- Complete the Employability Skills training at Goodwill®
Work Requirements for Successful Completion
- Work required hours at the minimum wage of $10.50 per hour
- Maintain 100% attendance during employment
- Demonstrate a 90% proficiency of required skills
*This program is funded 100% by Arizona@Work One-Stop, Pima County and the Workforce Investment and Opportunity Act.