In 2012 Arizona’s youth unemployment rate was 17.6% for youth ages 16-24. Last year 188 youth were placed with local employer-partners through the assistance of Goodwill® Youth Employment Program.
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
We believe that through real world work experience, youth develop their skills that will lead them towards the road to success in other job positions. Through a contract and funding with Pima One-Stop, the YOUTH EMPLOYMENT program places youth ages 16-24 with local employers during the summer or after school to attend training and gain work experience. Our Employer-Partners include Tres Amigos, Saavi, Tucson Botanical Gardens, Reid Park Zoo and other local employers.
How to participate in the Youth Employment Program
If you are between the ages of 16-24 and are looking for work either after school or for the summer, the Goodwill® After School and Summer Youth Programs could be a perfect fit for you.
- Must be 16-24 years of age
- Must be out-of-school and meet Workforce Investment Act (WIA) or Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) criteria, as determined by Pima County during their Intake Process
- A high school junior or senior that needs assistance in education
- A high school senior who has selected a career track and needs an internship
Enrollment Process for Youth
- Fill out Pima County application online at www.pima.gov
- Attend the Intake Process at Pima County to confirm eligibility
- Take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) at Pima County office
- Finish two hour pre-screening at Goodwill®
- Finish two hour Orientation at Goodwill® and complete our Online Application.
- Complete the Employability Skills training (8am-2pm) at Goodwill®
Work Requirements for Successful Completion
- Work required hours at the minimum wage of $8.05 per hour
- Maintain 100% attendance during employment
- Demonstrate a 90% proficiency of required skills
*This program is funded 100% by the Pima County One Stop Center and the Workforce Investment and Opportunity Act.